Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Watering Plants While You're Away!

I've recently taken up indoor gardening! I just have a few plants in the window and a large fern in my living room, but it's been so fun taking care of them. (I never thought I would actually enjoy watering plants haha) This week, Matt and I are going out of town for Thanksgiving and I was so worried about leaving my plants at home because I didn't want them to dry out and die! So I did some research and found a great idea from "The Crafty Little Gnome"... Watering with glass bottles! Here's the link to her blog: click!

Because my fern is really big, I thought it would be a good idea to use a bigger bottle, so luckily I had an empty wine bottle to use...


All you have to do is fill it up with water, and flip it upside down really fast so all the water doesn't spill out! I dug out a little hole to put the bottle in to make it easier to get it to stand up. It starts watering the plant on it's own and WA-LA! your plants are good to go for a few days! I tested it out this week and it took 4 days for the wine bottle to empty so if you'll be gone for longer, you may want to use a larger bottle or maybe even two.  


For the smaller plants I used regular glass bottles because they won't use up as much water. I didn't test these out like I did with the big plant so hopefully they won't run out of water too fast, but I think they will last until we get back. How funny does it look though? I think it looks like I'm growing beer instead of plants! Haha!

Hopes this helps all of you that are going out of town! It definitely is a lifesaver for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment