Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Jar Dyeing


I've seen this tutorial several times on pinterest to make jars look like sea glass by mixing glue with food coloring and painting the glass. So, I thought I would give it a try. Above is how my jars turned out. Not exactly sea glass, but still pretty nonetheless.

First of all, I washed out the jars. I had a salsa jar, pickle jar and marinara jar that decided to use because they were different shapes and sizes.




I simply filled the sink with soap and hot water and the labels fell right off.


On two of the jars, the expiration date was printed directly on the jar, so I used nail polish remover and it came right off!




Next, I mixed together my glue and food coloring. I originally wanted to make the jars three different shades of blue and try to create an ombre effect, but that was easier said than done :( (let me know if you can get yours to look ombre!)




I used blue gel glue because that's all I had on hand. I think this was my downfall on the "sea glass" effect. Try the white glue for that effect!






I mixed together the glue and a little food coloring at a time to get the color I wanted. I also added a little water so it wasn't so thick.


I placed my jars on paper towels and started to paint! I found that the glue bubbles up a little if you put too much, so just do a thin layer at a time and try to even it out with your brush.





Being as impatient as I am, I dried my jars with a hair dryer. This worked like a charm and they were instantly dry!




This was a fun project, but talk about MESSY! My hands were completely blue after. Haha! I found that white vinegar takes the color off pretty well.





And here's the finished product! I added tea light candles inside and made them pretty blue candle holders. I'm happy with the way they turned out and plan on doing another jar project for fall! Stayed tuned for another tutorial. :)




2 comments:

  1. They turned out great!! Love the tutorial :) .... I'm going to start taking pics and making tutorials of my crafting too.... we need to put our minds together and start making/selling this stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicki! :) We should do that! haha make a little money out of it ;)

      Delete